Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

12

Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

ARRL Idaho
Administrator
Use this forum to discuss the planning for a proposed Idaho Hamfest.  Click REPLY to post your comment.

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
12/10/18

Swap Meet / Hamfest second planning meeting held on 12/06/18

The following are points discussed at the second planning meeting.

Event Date: April 27th, the Saturday of the last weekend in April was chosen for this event, subject to change if a significant conflict arises.

Location: Mountain Home was chosen for this first event. This makes it more of an in-between location for everyone in the Treasure and Magic Valleys and possibly might attract people from Eastern Idaho.

Tony Schiro, N2VPZ and Susan KI7YIU from the Elmore ARC volunteered to scout out a location in Mountain Home. They were thinking of trying to get into one of the school locations pending approval by local school authorities. If the event could be tied in with the general public as an educational/emergency prep activity, the school location would be ideal.

Event Name: The event name should come from club members with suggestions submitted through their club representative or website forum (see below). The only rule being that the name of this event has something that identifies it as a ham radio event. Some of the ideas brought up were Southern Idaho Hamfest, Southern Idaho Amateur Radio (Blank), Idaho Council of Radio Clubs, IdaHam, or some other combinations. Please submit your suggestions.

Kelly Klaas, K7SU from MVARC offered to set up an online forum for event planning and communications on the new ARRL Idaho Section website at http://www.idahoarrl.info/forumdiscussion.html. This would allow people involved and/or interested in the event to share and discuss thoughts and ideas.

Event discussions: Matt Thurston, N7DFL from ISRA brought up operating a Special Events station as part of the event and this was discussed. Rob Blout, KA7ERV from the Boise County ARES group volunteered to help set up and operate an event station and also bring their ARES communications van.

Mike Dunlap, K7MYU from the VOI Club volunteered the club’s list of past speakers as an option for speakers at this upcoming event.

Tony Schiro, N2VPZ from the Elmore County ARC offered their club’s Volunteer Examiner participation for license testing at the event. Note, several clubs have expressed an interest in VE testing and may need to combine their efforts.

Ron Morell, KA7U from TVRA suggested by email that there should be non-ham activities as well for spouses, kids, etc., that might include (but not limited to) crafts, painting, sewing, tea, and crumpets. Dan Marler, K7REX added that depending on location, RC flying might be included.

ARRL: Rather or not to have the ARRL sanction this event was discussed and shelved for future meetings due to ARRL requirements.

Marketing: Marketing is of paramount importance to make this event a success. Carol Reser, KC7MYN from The Old Dusty Radio Club suggested that each participating club take responsibility to make sure that their club members are not only informed about the event by all means possible, (nets, websites, Facebook, etc.,) but also encouraged all to participate.

Seed money: Seed money will have to be determined after any overall expenses are calculated.

SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT MEETING
• Continue discussion on name
• More feedback from each club as to how they can participate and promote
• Discussion on how this event can be promoted among Idaho hams and beyond
• Feedback from Tony and Susan on location and RV/Motel/Hotel facilities in Mountain Home
• Additional brainstorming of ideas

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION Respectfully, Bob Minton NU7L rjm@interplus.net

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K8MPW
I suggest "Gem State Hamvention"

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7SU
Ohhhh...I kinda like that Bill.

K7SU

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

N7DFL
Gem State Hamvention is good unless we want to focus on Southwestern Idaho.

In general I'm a fan of short names, the only one I came up with is IdaHam, which I'm not very fond of.

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7SU
I don't know that concentrating on a particular part of the state is a good idea. I think we should be "statewide" in attitude and see how it shakes out.     K7SU

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

WB7RWS
What is wrong with using Idaho State Ham Convention? It tells you what the event is about, tells you that it is state wide, and it tells you who the event is for.
73, Mike Cline WB7RWS

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
Nothing at all wrong with the name Idaho State Ham Convention.
We'll add that one to the list to choose from...

Thanks.

Dan / K7REX

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
Gem State Hamvention is another good one.   Thanks

Dan / K7REX

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
I understand your concern about using the name "Gem State Hamvention".  I kind of like it, but we'll have to see how others feel about that one.   The name "IdaHam" is short and something to consider... I agree that long names get messy.

Dan / K7REX

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
Thanks Kelly, I agree.

Dan

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

Alex.W0LVJ
In keeping with a generic name that encompasses all of Idaho, I am leaning toward Intermountain HamVention.  I know that this is a cousin to WIMU, but maybe its far enough removed to work.

Re[2]: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
Intermountain HamVention could be stretching it a little giving that it's an Idaho event, but a good name non-the-less and should be considered.

For those that don't know about WIMU, many "moons" ago we used to have a ham convention (more of a swap meet) held yearly in eastern Idaho or abouts that was put on by clubs in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Utah, thus the name "WIMU".

Dan / K7REX

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

ND7L
Unfortunately, Hamvention is a registered mark for the "Dayton" event. Anything using GEM makes me think of precious stones...

I know suggestions were made to have the name reflect what the event is about - sometimes easier said than done. However it can be done by adding a "tag line"

Even SeaPac does that: SeaPac - "The Northwest's Largest Ham Convention" Is this largest by attendance or by the size of the ham itself? Which just goes to say, you can probably pick anything apart!

Unless you say "Amateur Radio" anything using "Ham" can be mistaken by some to mean cured pork! And if it is "too radio" do we exclude the folks that we may want to partner together?

Let's work on coming up with something catchy - then market it like crazy!

Since my bad ideas may stimulate someone's great one...

IDA-TECH - a search on this one revealed a defunct fuel cell company
Ida-Fest
Idaho-Radio
HamFest - Idaho
RadioFest - Idaho
ID-Tech-Fest
ART – Amateur Radio TechFest

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7SU
We could call it Ham-Con or Radio-Con (since Comic-Con is already taken)  :)

Society seems to be fascinated with all the  "fill in the blank - Cons" today.

And then there is always Comm-Con but that's probably too close to Comic-Con.  We would have all the nerds showing up.  Oh wait!  We will already BE there!   HI HI

Upon further thought...Comm-Con might not be bad.

OK...just a little light humor for the morning.

I'm done now.  Move along.  Nothing here to see.

Kelly  K7SU

Re[2]: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
Thanks for the great info Don and the name suggestions.  That was very helpful.

Dan / K7REX

[...]

http://arrl-idaho-discussion-forum.91646.n8.nabble.com/Idaho-Hamfest-Discussion-Forum-tp23p87.html
To unsubscribe from Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

Marlene  KF6YNC
I would like to participate via teleconference or phone conference. I would also like to man a table representing AmRRON.
AmRRON is not a club but here is a better explanation.
https://amrron.com/about/

I would also like to see an ARES table manned.

Marlene Moore
KF6YNC

Re[2]: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

K7REX
Thanks Marlene,

You are talking about two different things.  It's a ways off yet, and there is still much planning to get done.  That said,  I can see an area being set aside for several different disaster/emergency organizations and of course, ARES will be well represented.

Phone conferencing is what we offer those on the planning committee too far away or otherwise can't make it to the meetings.
To keep the planning committee to a meaningful size so that we can get things accomplished, we have limited it to a representative of ham clubs and ham related organizations.  Without a doubt, you qualify, and we would love to have you come on-board.  I'll send you additional information to you via email.

Thanks...

~Dan

Dan / K7REX

Re: Re[2]: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

Marlene  KF6YNC
Received-THX!

http://arrl-idaho-discussion-forum.91646.n8.nabble.com/Idaho-Hamfest-Discussion-Forum-tp23p104.html
To unsubscribe from Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Idaho Hamfest Discussion Forum

Marlene  KF6YNC
AmRRON is not a club but a network.
See    https://amrron.com/about/

Taking that  into consideration, how do you see AmRRON fitting in to your planning?
12