WinLink Forum

ARRL Idaho
Administrator
Use this forum to discuss WinLink operations.  Click REPLY to post your comment.

Re: WinLink Forum

KL7BR
This post was updated on .
There is a Winlink packet gateway for email in SE Boise at 145.010.  The call is KL7BR-10.  There is a digi at Gowan Field that may help you connect, WC7ID-3.  Both stations are set to ID every 10 minutes.

Attached is a recent guide to the Winlink system and how to use it. For more information, see http://www.winlink.org

Winlink_Configs_2017_V2.pdf>

Feel free to contact me for help or advice.

Rick

mycall at yahoo dot com

Re: WinLink Forum

K7SU
I've never used WinLink before.  Not even sure what it is.  Guess it's time to find out.  Thanks!

Kelly  K7SU

Re: WinLink Forum

Ty, W7TML
Hello, I've downloaded the config PDF. I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly. I have worked a little bit with WinLink using "budget" TNCs like the TNC-X from Costal ChipWorks. I have used  the signalink USB as well. I've used both pieces of hardware for "fun". What is the next level of "dependability"? I assume it is the Kantronics line of packet modems?

I've done most of my learning via YouTube for the other devices. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there on setting up and operating a Kantronics modem. Is it difficult to set up and run? For emcomm is it worth the upgrade to Kantronics?

Thank you

Ty

Re: WinLink Forum

KL7BR
Ty,

Sound card modems:
I've used AGW, UZ7HO's SoundModem, and DireWolf with the SignaLink, RigBlaster and the Yaesu SCU-17 USB sound cards. SoundModem is more configurable and DireWolf is easier to set up and use.  AGW is dated and the author has not been posting updates regularly. Both SM and DW have advanced DSP and are way better at decoding marginal packets than most of the commonly available hardware AX.25 TNCs.

Hardware modems:
That being said, for my Winlink gateway I chose a KPC-3 (non-plus) that I picked up on eBay for $60.  I had to replace the battery, do a full reset, and check the jumper settings. When I started to use it with my gateway, it just worked after initializing and setting MYCALL to my station callsign.  I then made some level adjustments on the internal pot to keep the transmitter's deviation between 3 and 3.5 KHz and that was it.

This was after trying the Tasco modem (built-in) in my Kenwood TH-D710 (system hangs every 24 hours), the TNC-X (lots of retries and long unexplained delays), and DireWolf/SignaLink (Windows updates reset sound card values to defaults & had to fiddle with Sound Control Panel every Patch Tuesday and at other times too).

So, yeah, I'd go for a KPC-3 or KPC-3+ for a dedicated AX.25 Packet Winlink station BUT you can do a lot more modes with a SignaLink and DireWolf/FLDIGI, just don't expect 24x7 operation if you do system updates in the background.

Also, use clamp-on ferrites on all cables at both ends and save a lot of potential headaches.

Rick
KL7BR

Re: WinLink Forum

Ty, W7TML
Thank you

Re: WinLink Forum

KL7BR
The Boise Winlink Gateway, KL7BR-10, has moved to 145.010 in order to serve a wider user audience including Twin Falls and Mountain Home.  The Gowan digi, WC7ID-3 has moved there also. Tune in with a packet program such as Dire Wolf to see if you can hear activity. KL7BR-7 and WC7ID-3 beacon every 10 minutes. Watch this space for info on other digipeaters to be added soon.

Re: WinLink Forum

K7SKE
Thanks for posting this, going to have to fire up the packet station again..!

Mike K7SKE

Re: WinLink Forum

ki0e
Our club SWIARC did a WinLink presentation last month it went great.  We were not able to connect to the Digi-peater though from nampa.  Could not hear anything but with the change in frequency I will have to give it a try.

Kim
KI0E, Kim Gross Nampa Idaho

Re: WinLink Forum

KL7BR
I am available for phone support, let me know if you need help.  You might also be able to reach AK7WS-10 direct or via SHAFER.  It is an experimental, temporary setup on the APRS frequency, 144.390.

Re: WinLink Forum

ak7ws
I've setup a working RaspPi3B+ that is doing Winlink Gateway AND APRS gateway.  Of course it's on the 144.39 APRS frequency, but will work for both.  You will see it on the winlink map.

Anyone interested can msg me and I'd be glad to help you get one setup.  I took good notes, but have not put a document together on making it all work together.  But it's not very difficult.

Right now it's using my V71A as the transmitter, but IF MY CABLE FROM CHINA ever gets here for my baofeng, I plan to have it use that radio.  Making it very portable.

I've also designed and built a PCB (about an inch square) that will interface with most any radio.  It has the audio signals on it, and PTT signal.  Making it simple to get setup.

Lisa - AK7WS